Monday, March 17, 2014

17 MAR 2014

Off to Chicago this morning. The flight is delayed taking off in SLC, in fact the plane is not even here.

It can be very frustating, delays. It can if you let it.

Life in many ways can be interpreted as a gap between what you expect and what actually happens. In that gap, we can experience happiness or utter bitterness.

The difference in your experience is one realization: You are not in control.

As a society we create the illusion of continuity, certainty and control. These are just illusions. As a society, we have been developed the ability to create artificial environments to make us comfortable, we have grown soft.

I find it amusing to hear people as I travel. 95% of them will start a conversation by complaining. Can you believe this weather?!  Of course they are running late! This airport is so far away from the rental car facility, its ridiculous! These planes are always too hot or too cold, why can't they get it right, ugh!

We open conversations with strangers with complaints. People walk up to the gate counter at the airport: My seat number is not on my ticket! Not: hello, can you help me? or how are you, I was wondering, my....

No. Complaining has become the universal language. It's worse in the US, we invented the term "1st world problems" because we realized how ridiculous we sound. We take time to tell the world that Starbucks did not put enough cream in our coffee. 

This is why I refuse to join twiter. 

What can I do if my flght is delayed? really. What can I do if it snows in Chicago? Or if a flight attendant does not show up to work and I am late for a meeting? 

Nothing.

I am suddenly reverted to my ancestors trying to figure out why their crops did not come in or why someone got sick and died. I can dance around the fire and pound dirt, but I can only make a difference by being patient or trying something different.

This is my travel motto: if you are prepared, ye shall not complain. And even then, no one wants to hear it. 

We have a limited amount of influence around us, let's not waste time complaining. There is no problem in life that won't be made worse by complaining.  

No comments:

Post a Comment